Friday, August 24, 2012

Cactus Flower

I haven't had much luck with my garden this year.  It's been so hot---triple digits for most of the summer---anything I plant has to contend with being surrounded by concrete, brick, and river rock plus full sun from dawn until 2:00 p.m.  This year I had a friend give me 4 cactus and I had one of those die!!!  Most everything has died or is hanging on by a wing and a prayer.  Until . . .

One of my cacti put on this rather ugly grey fuzzy thing.  I watched it.  Over time it grew green, then it began to lengthen out and grew thick.  Then this pod appeared on the end, a pretty shimmery green which changed over time to shimmery green and vibrant lavendar.  It became . . .

Check out these photo's . . .

How exciting!  What's the bloom going to look like?

This was Wednesday night.  I thought it would probably bloom by morning.  It's so close here.

This is what greeted me on Thursday morning when I walked out my front door.

A couple of flying insects showed up this morning to investigate.  One got trapped down inside.  The other flew away.


Notice the little star type thing off to the right side. . .that is actually the central stamen.  Notice the little grey fuzzy on the cacti to the right.  It's the start of a new bloom, I think.

No comments: